Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Beware of Fake Seaglass Earrings

As you can imagine, it is very difficult to find two pieces of seaglass that match up well for a pair of earrings.  I try to match pieces from the same geographic area, so I compare seaglass finds from Hawaii or Bermuda for example, looking for color and shape matches.  Once I have done that, I design the earring style, decide on silver or gold, and get to work.  The first earring is usually the easiest, but with the second one I have to be careful to match the size and shape of the first!  That is more challenging.  Lately, I have been creating dangly earrings, so they have to be the same length of course. 

In my travels, I have seen pairs of blue, red, and even orange so-called seaglass earrings. Just imagine how difficult it is to find even one piece of blue seaglass, or red or orange, let alone two that match perfectly! You have to wonder about earrings like that, especially if the price is really low. They probably are man-made, fake seaglass. I only use genuine, beachcombed seaglass. Many times the fake seaglass is sold as seaglass, so you have to be careful. Genuine seaglass often has little c's or pit marks, but not always. Color and price also can be a warning sign, and read the labels carefully!   Read my earlier posts about Fake Vs, Real Seaglass for more information.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will respond to questions about where to search for seaglass, travel sites, places to visit, restaurants, hotels, etc. as well as about Lucky Sea Glass Jewelry!

Powered By Blogger