Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

"Best" Sea Glass Beaches

I've been researching the web as there are some sites now that indicate the best sea glass beaches.  Unfortunately, some of the information is outdated, as more and more collectors are out there and there is not as much glass being thrown out to sea!  I see a lot of plastic on the beaches I visit.  Sea plastic, anyone? 

Bermuda beach -- as I found it!
In my travels, I have a few favorite beaches which I can share with you, and you can see them on my website, too.  It is a toss up between the beautiful sea glass I found on various Greek Islands -- Mykonos, Patmos, and others, and Bermuda.  The sea glass from these places is so smooth and soft -- I'm sure it has been tossed around for many years.  Hawaii is a great place to look as well -- but mostly I have found smaller pieces. I have been successful on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai, but not on the Big Island.  Maybe the volcanic shoreline breaks up the glass.  Oh, the Glass Beach on Kauai is still glassy, but there are mostly small pieces of whites and browns.  I hear that near the airport is a much better beach -- but I haven't been there.

Oh, one more place I almost forgot.  Puerto Rico!  There are sea glass beaches along the north coast, near Rincon and Ponce, and the island of Vieques (I hear).  I found a lot of sea glass near Ponce in February.  3

In July, 2013 I visited Ft. Bragg, where there is a famous Glass Beach.  I actually went to a different site where I found a beach of sea glass.  See my other posts about Ft. Bragg.  It is definitely worth a visit!

I have been hearing a lot about Seahham Beach in northeast England.  It has fabulous glass, but I haven't gotten there yet.  I hope to explore the coast of France next year!

 In 2015, I was on a number of cruises.  First, along the western coast of France and Northern Spain where I found sea glass in little port villages like Baionne and Concalle.  Also, in Alaska I found amazing sea glass at an uninhabited island called Unga Island.  Also, in Nome, Alaska outside the town on the shoreline.

Does this put you in the mood to travel?  It does me -- I want to go to Italy and see what I find there!And, also England.... Please add your favorite places here, too.  Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Seaham, in County Durham, England. Amazing beach. There was a glass factory nearby until the mid 1900s and all the end of day glass went into the sea. As well as solid colours, pieces of milk glass, and vivid multicolours can be foudn there too. I visited in June as documented here: http://underatopazsky.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/seaham-sea-glass/
    Just found your blog and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information and I am glad you found this blog! I hope to make it to England soon -- I've heard about the beautiful sea glass there.

      Delete
  2. ahhhh.... BERMUDA! but, I KNOW I don't have to tell YOU that ;-)!
    http://ssveltestuff.blogspot.com/2011/05/where-have-i-been.html

    Love your Blog,
    Love your Creations,
    Love 'daydreaming' with you!!!
    S~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- Bermuda is fantastic for sea glass. I probably wrote the blog piece before I visited there. We really did a lot of walking to find the two beaches that are great. I think I describe them on my website, can't remember right now how to give you directions! Thanks for following me and my blog. It's nice to know there are real people out there, not robots.

      Delete

I will respond to questions about where to search for seaglass, travel sites, places to visit, restaurants, hotels, etc. as well as about Lucky Sea Glass Jewelry!

Powered By Blogger