Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

How to search for seaglass

If you look on my website, I have a page where I discuss this topic.  But, I thought I'd add a few suggestions here. 



Seaglassin' or beachcombing for seaglass is a fun and challenging activity for anyone.  As a novice, you might miss some pieces, but you probably should start by looking for the greens and browns, since they are more obvious and numerous than some of the rarer colors.  White may be hard to spot, unless the sun is shining and there is a sparkle.  Many times, you might pick up a pretty rock, hold it up to the light, and see that it is a rock, not seaglass.  This may happen often!



I have found that seaglass often accumulates around debris on beaches, where rocks or wood has been washed ashore.  If you patiently look through the debris, pehaps raking the sand with your hands a bit, you may be rewarded.  Recently, on Maui I found a number of pretty pieces just that way.  Of course, if you encounter someone who is taking over an area (like I saw on Maui), probably you should steer clear.  Sea glass collectors can be secretive and possessive about "their" beaches.  Usually, though, there is plenty of beach and sea glass for everyone.



Greek Islands sea glass finds
Some of the rarest finds (Spain, Antarctica, Arctic Norway) I have collected were just by good luck and being observant and persistent.  I have climbed down to beach areas, scoured a port area near Salvador Dali's home, and wandered along ice in Antarctica, to find seaglass.
  http://www.luckyseaglass.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will respond to questions about where to search for seaglass, travel sites, places to visit, restaurants, hotels, etc. as well as about Lucky Sea Glass Jewelry!

Powered By Blogger